Mix well until smooth in large bowl:
1 cup baking soda
1/2 cup citric acid
1/2 cup corn starch
1/3 cup Epsom salts
2-1/2 tablespoon light oil (sweet almond, jojoba, avocado oil – sunflower oil can be used also or light olive)
3/4 tablespoon water
1 to 2 teaspoon essential oil or fragrance oil
1/4 teaspoon Borax (an emulsifier)
- Put the wet ingredients and borax in a small jar and shake like crazy
- Add your colourant to the wet mixture
- Pour wet mixture SLOWLY over dry ingredients.
- Mix with hand similar to mixing biscuits.
- Keep pouring slowly and mix.
- Mixture will hold together when squeezed in palm of your hand.
- If the mixture seems to dry add just a tiny bit of extra oil, not water to moisten the mix.
- Press the mixture into mini cupcake liners that are placed in a mini cupcake pan for stability. There is no need to let them dry over night before putting the frosting on. Just don’t try to take them out of the pan until you put the frosting on. Mine wanted to separate from the liner, but the frosting acted like a glue.
So now you mix up the frosting.
3 Tablespoons Meringue Powder/Powdered Egg Whites
1 lb. (By weight) Powdered Sugar
5 Tablespoons warm water
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
A few drops Fragrance.
- Mix Meringue into warm water first.
- Add cream of tartar and powdered sugar.
- Whip on medium speed for 4 to 7 minutes.
- Frosting will form stiff peaks and harden within an hour (or so!).
- Pipe on to the cupcakes and let dry. (I let mine dry overnight and the whole thing is rock hard. The paper peels off easily too.)
The frosting has to soak in the warm water for about a minute but it will break up and dissolve. You can sub part of the powdered sugar with Baking Soda if you like. Just play around with the recipe and have fun!
DISCLAIMER: Saffire Blue Inc. is not responsible for the performance or accuracy of any of the recipes provided on our website. Testing is your responsibility. Photo may not be indicative of the actual finished product. If you plan to sell products made from any recipes we provide, it is your responsibility to adhere to all government regulations. If ingredients listed in a recipe are not sold by Saffire Blue Inc., we cannot offer suggestions of where to purchase those ingredients.