Amounts listed are by weight, not volume.
8 oz coconut oil
8 oz palm oil
8 oz palm kernel flakes
4 oz cocoa butter
4 oz grapeseed oil
4.8 oz lye (NaOH)
12 oz double-strength coffee
2 tsp cocoa powder
- Melt coconut oil, palm oil, palm kernel flake and cocoa butter in a container.
- Add lye to double strength coffee in a separate container.
- In a third container, combine cocoa powder and enough of your melted oils until smooth. (This will prevent clumps in your soap!)
- Add the lye mixture to the oils and mix using a stick blender.
- At light trace, add your cocoa powder mixture and blend until smooth.
- Pour into your soap mold, wrap in a blanket and let it sit for 48 hours.
- Unmold and cut into bars. Allow to cure on a rack for at least 4 weeks in a well ventilated room.
Adding more cocoa means a darker colored soap with a nice chocolate smell, but your soap will have a brown lather.
To make double-strength coffee, simply brew your coffee using twice as many grounds as usual to create a very dark, concentrated coffee.
The odour of the coffee/lye mixture may be unpleasant at first, but this completely disappears during the curing process.
DISCLAIMER: Saffire Blue Inc. is not responsible for the performance or accuracy of any of the recipes provided on our website. Testing is your responsibility. Photo may not be indicative of the actual finished product. If you plan to sell products made from any recipes we provide, it is your responsibility to adhere to all government regulations. If ingredients listed in a recipe are not sold by Saffire Blue Inc., we cannot offer suggestions of where to purchase those ingredients.