Amounts listed are by weight, not volume.
8 oz coconut oil
8 oz palm oil
8 oz palm kernel flakes
4 oz cocoa butter
4 oz grapeseed oil
4.8 oz lye (NaOH)
12 oz double-strength coffee
2 tsp cocoa powder
- Melt coconut oil, palm oil, palm kernel flake and cocoa butter in a container.
- Add lye to double strength coffee in a separate container.
- In a third container, combine cocoa powder and enough of your melted oils until smooth. (This will prevent clumps in your soap!)
- Add the lye mixture to the oils and mix using a stick blender.
- At light trace, add your cocoa powder mixture and blend until smooth.
- Pour into your soap mold, wrap in a blanket and let it sit for 48 hours.
- Unmold and cut into bars. Allow to cure on a rack for at least 4 weeks in a well ventilated room.
Adding more cocoa means a darker colored soap with a nice chocolate smell, but your soap will have a brown lather.
To make double-strength coffee, simply brew your coffee using twice as many grounds as usual to create a very dark, concentrated coffee.
The odour of the coffee/lye mixture may be unpleasant at first, but this completely disappears during the curing process.Enter disclaimer text